Old 07-19-21, 04:58 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I wouldn't want to start a tour on a completely new bike. I'd want to have time to fit my gear and make adjustments to the bike's set up.
I feel the same way, but if I did decide to start out on a new unfamiliar bike. I think if I were the type to have a schedule (I am not), I'd allow some time to get it sorted in case I needed to. I would also allow for possibly lower miles for a few days in the beginning just in case. There may be comfort issues or time spent tweaking setup.

In practice some of the adjustment is the rider adjusting to the bike unless the saddle and setup are very close to what they are used to. I typically set all my bikes up very similarly, which is easier when they are side by side. That is harder to do when a dealer is doing it for you remotely based on measurements. It is also harder to tweak the settings if they get it wrong when you don't have your other bikes as a reference.

You could get a fitting, but I wouldn't want to start a long tour with a brand new changed position on the bike. I have changed my setup on tour, but did it in increments over the tour.

I'd want to at the very least arrive with a set of carefully taken measurements. I'd take a saddle I was used to unless the one on the new bike was one I was used to or I was willing to take short-ish mileage days in the beginning to break myself into a different saddle. I personally am pretty tolerant to most decent saddles so this is less of a big deal for me than for most people, but even I would consider it.

Also there are the possible new bike teething pains. Stay on top of things and watch for loosening spokes and fasteners. Watch adjustments and keeps things generally lubed and adjusted.

Last edited by staehpj1; 07-19-21 at 05:01 AM.