View Single Post
Old 07-25-21, 05:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
..., and I absolutely can, in some conditions, feel the dyno hub.
I'd leaned it in the shade, I could see the standlight still faintly glowing. Turned it off,...
...On the next couple of rollers, I match his posture -- tucked if he's tucked, fully upright if he is, and the same thing keeps happening. So I tell him to turn off his lights, match his posture once more, and we go down the next hill in perfect unison.
This is the first I have read of someone that could see the difference riding with a dyno powered light on.

If I lift my front wheel off the ground and give it a spin, if my light is off it will spin the same as if it was a non-dyno hub. Turn the light on and give it a spin, and the wheel slows much more quickly. The extra draw from the headlight clearly adds drag when I do that.

I could readily see that with a SP PV8, the difference on my Shimano hub it was less obvious but still apparent.

So, not only have I read about the wattage losses, I have seen the difference on my own bike. But, when I am riding I can't feel the difference.