View Single Post
Old 03-02-24, 11:45 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 864 Posts
And now - the rest of today's two-wheel tale.

In north Mesa and Tempe, the river path runs alongside the Loop 202 freeway, and drops under the Loop 101 freeway at its sprawling interchange.

Descending under the busy ramps

Flyover, go under.

I crossed the river at a major street (go, Ridekick, go!) and turned onto the Indian Bend Wash Greenbelt. This pathway system was one of the early ones in the US, built in the 1970s and attracting a lot of recreational foot & wheeled traffic on picture-perfect weekends like this one.

Better not be in a hurry, and keep that bell a-dingin'

A new experience for me - riding through a professional disc golf tournament.

Serious Frisbee.

I wended my way along the abrupt turns and happy throngs, veered into an underpass... and was met by a big slobbery roadblock. None shall pass - until sufficient skritches are given.

The new semi-portable 'Basset Bollard' undergoes testing

Breakfast was a while ago, and lunch sounds good. And I knew of a great lil' eatery just off the pathway.

Grilled yum.

Continued along the canal paths and bike lanes into Paradise Valley, waving at the Bentleys and Alfa Romeos and generally behaving myself.

I then turned west and noticed something. A breeze. No, make that a big ol' headwind. And still a pile o' miles to go.

The palms sway and the upwind riders pay

Up until now I'd been doing much of the work using the e-trailer for a little boost at signals, upgrades, and other spots. But now: "Ridekick, take my butt home." I smooshed the throttle lever so hard it twisted the velcro, and the electrons surged to do their lardbutt-bailing duty. Whew. Otherwise this could have been less than pleasant, albeit character-building (I think I have enough of that).

A few miles from the house, I spotted a yard sale, and the owner's kittycat took it upon herself to go out by the street, look lovable, and lure the rubes in. Yeah, it works. I think the shorts will fit.

Don't just take pictures of me - buy some of this stuff.

Almost home. But not quite there yet.

Hey, who put this hill in my way?

Wobbed through Moon Valley, zipped across the busy streets, and brought it in to the driveway with ample reserve power available in the trailer's batteries - but only 1% showing on the phone (brought the charger,, but not the right cord). Almost 74 miles for this day with about 1,400 feet of climbing, and nearly forty 100% me-powered miles coming up tomorrow. But now it's time to recharge everything (including me) and hope that Sunday is also a success.

Long lumpy loop, but a fun day