should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
A bike should neither appear nor disappear

Ok hear me out.

When we are riding around on our little bikes and they, along with much else, disappear from our attention, we are likely trapped in thought, riding on autopilot, not really there, until something out of the pattern appears. We all know which types of routes and conditions particularly promote that kind of cycling. The bike effectively disappears.

On the contrary, we may be out there and contort in discomfort because we are on the wrong type of saddle, have general positional bike fit issues, or hear a dry chain or that mysterious intermittent clicking that has us oh so interested. The bike stands out causing some sort of issue or niggle, it appears.

Both of these are not terribly safe options, riding under a spell or frequently looking down at the derailleurs seriously hinder spatial awareness, dare I say enjoyment.

It would follow that ideally, a bicycle should neither appear in the mind by standing out through misfit related discomfort or mechanicals that preventative maintenance could have avoided, and likewise should never disappear along with the rest of the ride behind a veil of thought fog.

Riding with a neither appearing nor disappearing bike feels alert and alive. Many know it.

For those who haven't ridden such a paradoxical bike in a while, one that's just there along with all the rest around us in equal standing, this may be the place to share what worked well for people here. What I found helpful was frequently exploring new routes and finding them from referencing and memorising a map or landmarks prior to the ride, no GPS. Or riding routes with varied surfaces and terrain at a good pace that demands proactive bike handling within a reasonable safety margin. Eliminating or cutting down technology distractions whilst riding. Getting a professional bike fit with subsequent hardware changes and adjustments to avoid short term discomfort or long term injuries. Being picky about the exact fit of clothing. Keeping on top of maintenance for a trustworthy and predictable bike setup. Not resisting or stressing about aspects of the ride I can't change. Setting slightly ridiculous riding targets, like longer distances or intimidating climbs, and just doing it, and managing things as they are met.

Do you know the type of bike I am talking about, and how do you find it?