Old 02-28-20, 02:31 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
The past few weeks I've been doing penance on the trainer in the basement until things get warmer and lighter. Not having any real problems or pain while on the bike. The other day I had my physical, and mentioned to the Dr. about the discomfort I have in my nether region. After the 'turn your head and cough' and some probing around, he said I have a hernia. Lucky me! From the brief research I did it usually requires surgery to fix. I go the surgeon on wednesday to have it checked out.
So if I do have to have surgery, can I still ride? or will I have to wait x number of days\weeks\months before I can ride again? Does anybody have any insight from experience about what I'm going to go through. I was really looking forward to riding much more this year than last.
BTW I have no idea how this could have happened!
Had it done many years ago. I wasn't biking at the time. It was repaired outpatient, went home that evening. I doubt you will be riding the next day. Getting up out of bed was.. will let's just say challenging. Spent several minutes trying find a way to get up painlessly, ha. Just bit the bullet and got up. Got progressively easier subsequent days and once up and moving about you are OK. The stopping and stiffening up was the problem. I had mine done on a Thursday, a couple of sick days, back to the office that following Monday. Was able to dance that Friday at the local hangout. As for when to resume cycling, I'd check with your surgeon for guidelines.