Old 01-06-14, 05:00 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by biciklanto
But as far as I understand (and the point for which I'm seeking clarification), going from narrow hard tires like Hardshells to wider, more compliant, lower pressure tires should improve traction and comfort marginally whilst only reducing flat protection marginally, if at all. Or is there something I'm missing, or a better option for my next tires?
Correct.

Dumbar is only debating with himself about gatorskin vs hardshell, etc.

Trade the stiffer, less compliant, narrower, tires at higher pressure for a more supple, compliant, lighter, wider tire at decreased pressure and you are going to experience an increase in ride quality and probably traction. With some tradeoff in druability and/or puncture protection.

In practice I've had very, very few pure "punctures" with any of the light weight tires that still incorporate a puncture protection strip (Michelin, Conti, Maxxis, Vittoria). Well, expect the Vittoria Rubino Pros. They still suffered punctures. But, what I have experienced is a decrease in casing durability and tread life expectancy.