Old 01-06-14, 09:22 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dunbar
No, I'm relaying my personal experience having used these tires. I've used 28c Gatorskins and Gator Hardshells at 80psi. They ride very stiff. Reducing the pressure won't have much effect on ride quality. A wider Gatorskin at lower pressure is not meaningfully more compliant IME. If you want more compliance it's going to come at the expense of puncture protection. Whether or not a tire with less puncture protection results in more punctures depends on your local riding conditions.

When I went from 25c Durano Plus'si to 25c GP4000S's at the same pressure now THAT was a big difference in ride quality.
apparently it continues to be lost on you that the OP has never indicated that he intended to stay with a wider hardshell, but, has, since his first post been doing exactly what you mention. Which is sacrifice some durability by moving to a GP 4 Season in a wider width . Whereby it is perfectly reasonable for him to expect an improvement in traction and ride quality.