View Single Post
Old 11-22-20, 03:36 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Interesting discussion re filters and post processing. I have a couple of photographer pals and they tell me about the different guidelines people operate under.
In UW photography a certain amount of post production work is accepted as there is usually particulate in the water and the white balance gets wonky. Above water, I can take the same shot with my P&S and my phone and am amazed at how much more detail and colour the phone produces. In some ways it has replaced the Olympus except that it (the Olympus) is a Tough series and much more suited to rough/water based activities. I would not risk my phone taking shots SUP or kayaking or cycling in the rain. Some photogs are ditching their cameras in favour of I phones these days I am told.

I also like B&W Ansel Adams thing and want to develop my capacity within that niche so I convert a lot of my images. I've got a setting on my Olympus for it but it's far easier to work with images in software. I've learned a lot about different aspects of lighting that way as I see what effect manipulating settings has on an image. To progress from there I would probably need a larger, more dedicated camera (wide angle/fuller format) but then problems like weight, portability and delicacy come into play, so for now I compromise. I took these while trail running with a camera in my hand and mtbing with the camera in my jersey pocket, respectively.

Likes For Happy Feet: