JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I built up my 1991 Paramount from fork and frame with Shimano 105 5800 quite awhile back. It's great. But the bike still weighs about what it did when it would have been new with whatever group they were putting on them then. Tad less than 23 pounds (10.4kg). I was about to do the same for my Raleigh Competition, but realized that it would still weigh pretty much the same as it does now. So I went out and bought a new Tarmac and have absolutely no regrets except that I cycled too long dreaming of the glory days of steel.

If your frame and fork together weigh 6.5 lbs (2.9 kg) or more then it's just too heavy to hope to get down to any light weight. You really need to be down in the 3.5 lbs (1.6 kg) or less if lightness is a goal.

Shimano 105 is quite a bit heavier weight than Ultegra or DuraAce. If you can, just go to a shop with them on display and ask to pick some up. You can feel it just in your hands that Ultegra is much ligher.

Wheels too will offset some weight, but like Ultegra or DuraAce, you'll pay dearly for the little weight you leave behind.
Thanks Iride01, frame and fork weigh exactly 2,9kg. Checking the different specs, I think I can take something around 700-800 grams away through 105 crank/bb and a new stem. So yes, not a big gain in terms of weight but what about improvements in stiffness and responsiveness? I chose this group as it seemed a good price/quality product, agree that Ulegra and DA are lighter. New wheels are not an option for now given 126 spacing and the price already paid for them.

From these constraints the idea of a partial upgrade on the front. Is it that crazy? What about the chain question?