View Single Post
Old 06-16-21, 07:56 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Update: FedEx says the frameset is supposed to show up today. Will be curious to see what it weighs and see if it meets Iride01's benchmark. It would be nice if it does, though I suspect it will be a smidge over, especially with pre-installed headset and uncut alloy steerer (to start, obviously).

Planning on spending about $600/month on this over the next few months as I decide on componentry.

Been looking over my options, and I still think I'm going to try SRAM Force - though I might wait a bit to get the shift/brake hoods, given the pricing right now. I just checked a spreadsheet from the end of 2019, and it said that a pair of Ultegra R8000 levers were about $250 - now, both Ultegra and Force are about 50% higher ($369 for Force at one website). Don't know if those prices will drop, but that's definitely eye opening.

I think I'm going to go with the PG-1170 in a 11-28 sizing, mainly because of its single tooth gaps between 11-17. I currently mostly ride in 15 and 17 tooth with a 50-34 crank, and always want the 18, 16, and 14 as the road goes from +.5% to -.5%, or as headwinds turn to tailwinds. As I rarely use 13 and almost never use 11, I'm considering going with a Praxis Zayante Carbon-S, with a 48-32 setup. That gives me a very usable five gears between 13-17, vs the two that I have now (with rarely used 50/13 being taller than a proposed 48/13).

My frontrunner for wheels is still the DT Swiss P1800, coming in ~$500. I've looked at less expensive options, such as:
- Vision Team 30 (rim). I have the disc version on my Lynskey, not doing that again. Slow and heavy.
- Ritchey Comp Zeta. Appear to be even heavier than the Vision Team 30s
- Mavic Aksium. I feel like nobody ever has anything positive to say about these.

It doesn't appear that Mavic has anything comparable to my old Ksyrium Equipes, which were about 1700g and retailed for $400 or so a decade ago. Would love some other value options, in a <$500 alloy clincher.