himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
+1
Italian Thread ?!?!?!?

With the NDS removed you might be able to see enough DS threads to confirm your thought.

Barry

Looking again, I see the bearings and shaft are still in the bike. Do you believe the BB cartridge to be integral with the DS Cup/retainer?
That's actually a picture from the eBay sale. I pulled the NDS cup before dropping it off at the shop (it's been there a while as the mechanic working on it went on vacation and then put it lower on his priority list as I couldn't ride it anyway and it was going to be a PITA job.

It is a cartridge BB inside. I asked the mechanic if it would be possible to tap the cartridge out of the cup and just leave the cup in there as the BB I'd been planning to put back in was a Campagnolo square taper cartridge where the cartridge was independent of the cup, so maybe I could just slide the campagnolo one back in. The mechanic said that this style of cartridge from shimano was integral to the cup and couldn't get out without breaking the cup. He also questioned why I wanted to use an internal BB when the external threaded ones were better and lighter, but I have 2-3 good condition campagnolo race triple cranksets (I really like the 53-42-30 better than the new 50-39-30) and the appropriate BBs sitting around and didn't want to buy something new.