View Single Post
Old 05-13-17, 06:02 AM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Friend of a friend hit a tree last week. The Whisky carbon fork was completely (visually) undamaged while the Surly ICT frame folded in half. Now, that fork is likely compromised too, but it's a demonstration of the impact resistance and relative strength of modern carbon. The entire bike folded before the steering tube (also carbon) failed.

I say modern carbon very specifically because there has been a long maturation period to the material, and improving technologies in ultrasound and manufacturing in the last decade or so has really brought things to a new level. Today's carbon is many orders of magnitude more reliable than the carbon bikes of the onset.

I have no reservations about carbon. I used to, but I don't anymore. I usually gravitate towards steel for aesthetics, but my list of other reasons (durability, vibration damping, ride feel) is getting shorter since Carbon bikes often out-perform Steel in all categories, even flex. Even budget-wise, it's getting more accessible, and the entry level frames today compare well to pro frames from two or three years ago.

Carbon today? Totally different animal. I have zero reservations.