Thread: New Bell
View Single Post
Old 07-23-20, 03:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
The important thing, I think, is to get one with a proper striker, not that goofy little spring that mounts underneath. Those just aren't loud enough.

I have a couple really nice old English bells. One is a Miller from about 1950. It makes a wonderful "bong" sound.

The one on my Holdsworth is similar, 3" chromed dome. I think it's a Lucas. But the striker is really sensitive. On the last day of my ride around Lake Ontario a couple years ago, after 60 hours nearly continuous riding, every expansion crack on the Ontario State Parkway made the bell ring every ten yards. By, and my that time the bell wasn't the
the only thing that was sensitive! My bell rang just at that moment when my saddle kicked my butt. Miles and miles going
Bong! Ow! Bong! Ow!​ ​​Bong! Ow! Bong! Ow!

Originally Posted by Korina
Wow, talk about value added; they're gorgeous!
Yeah!

I wonder what the finish is-- did he coat it with something or is that just tarnished brass?

Patina and tarnish, different words for the same thing.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by rhm; 07-23-20 at 03:54 AM.