View Single Post
Old 04-08-21, 01:58 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
It is my understanding that some parts of the Appalachians can have very steep hills. My only experience in that area is GAP and C&O, those are fairly flat so I have no direct experience with the rest of the Appalachians..
That is an understatement. Here is a typical screen shot of Google Maps centered on eastern Kentucky and western West Virginia. The biggest answer you will get for asking directions will be "You can't get there from here" , If you can understand what they are saying and they are speaking about driving an automobile. These are main roads. What is in between you better have a good fat bike and a guide. There is generally no shoulders and few guard rails. Go there at look at street view and imagine a big coal truck or a logging truck barreling down on you with a bicycle. Bicyclist not on the main bicycle routes are considered by locals as someone whom lost their drivers license to DWI. You get respect accordingly. 15%+ grades are common