Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
Vittoria Diamante Pro Pista Clincher tire
160psi

Vittoria Diamante Pro Pista from Velodrome Shop
Originally Posted by Poppit
We use the Vittoria Diamante Pro Pista Clincher tyre on our training wheels and pump them up to approx. 10 bar which is 145psi which I thought was the max psi that is printed on it, I'll check tonight. Wiggle seem to think so too
I think you'll find that the current generation of Vittorias come with 145max on them. Older ones, that look like exactly the same tyre, used to have 160 max.

I think you'll find the issue will be twofold with max pressure. One factor is the quality of the lip/hook on the rim, and the second will be the quality of the bead on your tyre. If you look at the construction of modern aluminium rims, then they are a double wall design and I would say, very unlikely to spread under any normal (even high up to 160+psi) pressure. Also consider (especially with carbon rims) that what causes rims and tyres to fail is heat buildup. This isn't really a factor on track wheels.

I do notice a handling difference between running 120psi and 140psi on the front wheel. I used to, and now really don't understand why you'd want to run any higher than 145psi using clinchers on anything other than boards. BTW I tip the scales at 120kg and that 140psi is fine for me training on the boards with clinchers. If you do like even higher pressures, go and get a set of good quality tubs