Old 03-01-20, 08:38 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by bingsu
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a folding bike that'll last and even with all the research I've done, I'm not 100% on what to get.

Wants
  • Something I can upgrade parts to eventually, such disk brakes or maybe even internal hub.
  • 20in wheels, and can take wider
  • Okay to be used in park recreational trails, a few stretches of gravel, dirt tracks, and of course roads and pavements
  • I'm in Toronto, Canada. Mentioning just in case there are options here.
​​​​​​Not sure what frame material would work best with these wants so I'm open to suggestion.

I've narrowed it so far
  • Bike friday, NWT or diamond. Can't find current reviews, so I'm wondering if they are still worth the buy. Seems like they check all the wants. Only issue being, I'm in Canada.
  • Dahon, and there is a supplier in Canada called "powerinmotion.ca". But I'm not 100% sure if these frames are upgradeable in the future, or what life expectancy to expect from the newer frames.
  • Helix looks really neat but looks like they are backed up for a while and $$$.
  • Giant Expressway. There is a store in Toronto. Wonder if it checks the boxes though.
Anything I may have missed?
Honestly, if wish I could just get a BMX bike with long seat post and gears at this point if that existed, haha. Too bad that "hooligan" bike is hard to find.

Thanks!

​​
I will not recommend the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket nor NWT if you need to fold the bike every time you use/store it.
They are great riding bikes, but they are more of "bikes that break down for packing" than "fold and go".

Just get a Dahon unless again you have special needs like weight limits/stress, very tall, etc.
Likes For pinholecam: