View Single Post
Old 05-09-21, 07:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by Hit Factor
Since the glue was changed in patch kits, I haven't had much luck with them. I carry a new spare tube. I still have a patch kit in the bag, as a last resort. To answer the question, yes, I would replace and trash the patched tube with a new tube as soon as possible.
?? I missed this change. The standard glue in the green boxes seems to be the same stuff its always been.

Originally Posted by sjammer
Let’s say you were on ride and had flat, which you patched and put back on to complete your ride home. When you get home do you remove/trash the patched tube and replace with a new tube or do you continue ride with the patched tube until it flats again then replace? Just curious, what others do.
If it got me home, that's proof I didn't mess up the patch job and it passes my test. I just leave it in.

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
ride the patch to failure… that’s why you put it on instead of changing the tube!
I've struggled to ride patches to failure. They just keep going and going. Eventually the tube dies of other causes or I retire it "just because" after 5 patches (if I see this at home; on the road another just gets put on. Some tubes have gotten quietly sneaky and weaseled their way to as many as 8 patches.

Originally Posted by caloso
If done properly, the patch is a permanent fix. Just leave it and ride on.
+1

I do carry 2 tubes (new or patched). I've had long cuts in tires, blowouts, broken valve stems/leaks at the base and some days the Gods aren't smiling. And the single best way to get that Murphy guy to behave is to be prepared.