View Single Post
Old 01-19-20, 07:00 AM
ROT_01

Bikes: Old Fields randonneuse (local framebuilder, classic French style); Trek Hardtail 29er; Hercules (German mixte from the early 80's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
C-17 next best thing

I haven't ridden every saddle of course, but I used a B-17 for 10 years until it split, then a Champion until the rails must have bent in shipping my bike. I was tired of worrying about the weather in Florida heat, rain, humidity, and sweat so I got a Cambium C-17 with a cutout. The first test ride of about 27 miles(40km) on a familiar route went well when I realized about 12km in that I forgot I switched saddles and needed to scrutinize the new one. I did a full brevet series in 2019 and PBP and only developed 1 saddle sore near the end of PBP. I think I probably could have prevented that by cleaning and reapplying chamois cream more frequently. The C-17 doesn't have the exact same suppleness or springiness as the leather, it's hard for me to describe the subtle difference. But in addition to the brevets, I tour and train on it in rain, sun, sweat and it feels great for me. I never had a leather saddle with a cutout, but I like the cutout on my c-17. Overall it was a very smooth transition for me.
Likes For ROT_01: