Old 06-09-22, 05:13 PM
dja1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Are bicycles which require proprietary parts an unwise purchase?

I'm considering a new bike and have been erring with the possibility of going for a full aero frame/finishing kit/wheels from the likes of Ribble or Canyon. Yes, they seem very good on paper, and I am aware of the benifits offered by reducing drag on frames and wheels, but then I look deeper into it and wonder about the proprietary seatposts and forks which such bikes seem to come with.

Damage the seatpost or forks on my lightweight carbon frame then no biggie, as long as the frame is good then I'll just go and buy a new one. Snap the Ribble or the Canyon, yeah I might get one, but what about 5/10 years down the line when the latest model and 'improved' is out; do they still make it?

Yeah my current bikes are fine, no I don't need a new one but I love the ideas of these aero bikes. That said, in the real world, for somebody who just enjoys cycling and wants to put the miles in, even though so called innovative technology, engineering and design may appeal, is it worth it? What are your thoughts and experiences? Are parts for such bikes widely available and easily obtained, or is it best to steer clear?