Thread: Latex tubes
View Single Post
Old 06-24-22, 06:57 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
It's a very common error even installing butyl that folks don't put just enough air in the tube to give it shape on install to prevent pinches.

Then you get topics posted like "my brand new tube/tire/wheelset keeps getting flats". Then you see the person yanking the tube out in like 2 seconds and throwing a new flat as a pancake tube in the rim/tire and going to town.

Next up for latex, I personally disagree on the sealant inside unless you're a dedicated bike maintainer. Otherwise, if you seasonally ride your road bike then go to cyclocross or gravel in the off season and let them sit the sealant might harden up some on the inside of the latex and ruin the tube. Then you go to ride it next season and inflate it and think it's good then get a flat mid-ride. I did not understand sealant goes bad like that and let mine sit uninflated and unattended for months off season. Then crashed in a race when the front tire blew out during the 200m sprint.
Agree on both counts.