View Single Post
Old 06-01-21, 12:32 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
IN reality, once broke in, the leather saddle would actually be less firm than the Selle SMP. THe SMP has a much harder base, which will not give, so once the cover/cushion is compressed, it is hard. The leather saddle will flex. Whether or not a leather saddle will work for you personally is something you would have to investigate.
I understand what you're saying; however, and maybe I should re-phrase my question, what about what's happening in the rump when I compress the cover/cushion and get to the firmer part of the Selle SMP saddle, could that be the issue? When I've used Brooks, I recall a feeling of 'not sinking' into the saddle, just resting on top of it.

Thing I like about the Selle SMP is the size of the channel/cut-out and how it seems to be helping me avoid any issues down below (I had some previously, maybe not from the type of saddle but fact that I hadn't stretched certain pelvic floor muscles...ever). Whereas the B17's I have, when positioned well for my sit bones, had the nose sticking upwards and without a cut out may have been an issue for me. I won't go back to that saddle, but I'm curious about leather saddles that do not have padding, have a cut out and where the centre of the saddle through to the nose sit lower, but without encouraging a slide forward (the Selle SMP checks all of those boxes, minus the soft padding...which isn't actually that much padding).