View Single Post
Old 11-07-21, 07:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Samcls04
How do you pack your panniers when you fly?
The last time I flew somewhere with my bike, one of my rear panniers met the airline dimensions for carry on to stow in the overhead and one of my front panniers met the airline dimensions for personal item to carry on to put under an airline seat.

I do not want luggage handlers having a chance to damage my helmet, I wear that onto the plane and put it in the overhead. Within the airport, I attach the helmet to the shoulder strap that I used for my rear pannier that was the carry one.

The photo below shows my S&S Backpack case (black), most of my bike was in that case. A large backpack was my other checked bag (orange), and you can see the two panniers and helmet to carry onto the plane.

The orange backpack had camping gear, some of my food, a few bits of my bike as my bike and the S&S case together would be overweight, etc.

This was for a five week trip where I was camping almost every night.

I am not a light weight packer, this was probably a bit more than most would carry for a five week trip.

The bike in the next photo while on tour.