View Single Post
Old 04-27-22, 02:57 PM
YoughRiverDavid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I recently looked at 2022 Checkpoint AL5 and SL5. I checked for the "offset". One thing I noted was that the chain stays on the ALR are not symmetrical. On the SL carbon frame they are.

I am going shopping again on Friday. Does anybody have comments between the 2022 ALR5 and the 2022 SLR5. Is the increased price worth the jump to the carbon frame? I mostly ride rail-trail and my long ride would be about 40 miles (Connellsville to Ohiopyle round trip on the GAP).

I am not a speed demon. I am not a lightweight rider. Everybody says carbon will not fail or crack if fit falls over. Will I need to treat the bike with kid gloves? The carbon SL does come with isospeed - a carbon seat post, and the down tube storage - I am sure I can stuff something in there.

I liked the "white" ALR5. Going to look at the Mercury Satin SL5. (I have seen the Red SL5 - I it looks good at first glance but also says "steal me" - at least my wife said that.)

I may go with two wheelsets- a slow and a fast. 38-42mm for casual rides with my wife and a narrow (32-38) tire for "dry day" longer solo faster rides. Also, for my future SIL to borrow when he is in town without his BMC Team Machine - he knocks off 50 miles on trail/road rides. He is neutral on the buy.

While shopping a few weeks ago one of the Trek store managers said he was upgrading his older model carbon checkpoint to a 2022 - he thought it was worth it because of the geometry change. He and another shopper (who also has a carbon Checkpoint with the Aeolus 3V wheels) both recommended the carbon over aluminum if I can swing the prices.

This may well be my "last" n+1 bike. (I say that today.)