View Single Post
Old 04-14-23, 03:58 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Interesting. For a tube/clencher wheel, is there a type that's faster than others? (I've heard something about latex or silicone or something, but don't remember the details.) Or do you need to switch out to tubeless or glue or some other kind of magic? I've been playing with the idea of upgrading a wheelset, but if I can find a tube/tire combo that will give me roughly equal or better performance for a fraction of the cost, I would rather do that.
The advantage to tubeless is they are less prone to pinch flats, period. In fact, tubeless tires need to have more rigid sidewalls and that will offset any weight difference of not having tubes.

Latex tubes are said to have a nicer ride, but at a cost and not just monetary. Latex is more porous than standard butyl tubes and therefore will lose air faster. Latex is also more fragile and prone to flatting.

As far as tires, it's a balancing act. The most puncture resistant road tire out there is probably the Maxxis ReFuse, however, it rides like a garden hose. Lighter, faster and more supple tires will ride nicer, but be more prone to punctures. I have found a good middle ground with the Vittoria Rubino Pros for my road bike and Panaracer GravelKing slicks for my gravel bike. Both of these are a great bang for the buck too. I get less than one flat per year with these.