View Single Post
Old 06-06-14, 06:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
I convinced 2 of my riding buddies to take today off. We trucked up to Tarrytown this morning and rode the Old Croton Aqueduct trail, from just south of the NY State Thruway (Sheldon Ave, in N. Irvington) south to Yonkers at Rt 9 and Ashburton Ave. and back, 19 miles RT.

One rider had just purchased a Kona Rove cyclo-cross bike, the other guy rode his hard tail mt. bike, I was on my tourer with 32mm cross tires, all perfect for the conditions, which is dirt surface, occasional roots, rocks, curbs, etc.... This not really a good route for road bikes with 23mm tires as BTW. Doable but you work harder.

Great ride, wonderful views of the Palisades and Hudson River. When I did this trail 2 weeks ago with a Westchester buddy, it was on a Sunday afternoon. The path was very busy and had a LOT of cyclists on it, which surprised me as it's not really a cycling path. Today we only encountered occasional runners and walkers, a few dog walkers and almost no cyclists.

This trail is very well served by Metro-North at a bunch of stations, from Yonkers to Ossining, so lot's of options. As well it's possible to connect to the North and South County trails for a loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Cr...d_Croton_Trail