View Single Post
Old 04-02-22, 02:07 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
That is a 52T Viscount ring running through my 3 speed Fixed FW hub. High gear is somewhere in the neighborhood of the high seventies. Low is in the low fifties. Not great for hills but I live in Illannoy.
The Ural is a hoot. It's a 2007 Gear Up that I ride year round. More dependable than my Honda and more fun than you are legally allowed to have. I just got a dog and got him Doggles. I'm waiting for the yard to dry out so I can see how he does in the side car. He is not a fan of the Doggles, tho.
I noticed in your pics of your cool bikes in the "Post Your SS/FG Bikes" thread that you mentioned multi-gear fixed hubs a few times. Then it slipped my mind but I'm glad you mentioned it again here to remind me.

I went through hell with a Sturmey Archer S3X some years back. It sounded so good and I wanted to like it so badly but it never worked well. Thank god I found someone to give it to who was going to fix it with some kind of upgrade kit SA ended up giving out. Which makes me interested in yours. You fixed both 2 & 3 speed SA hubs? And you mentioned FW & AW hubs? Are those the different SA models? Back when I was screwing around with that damned S3X I found some Sheldon Brown stuff on the interwebz about fixing SA 3-speed hubs but it was beyond my skills. Wouldn't mind hearing more about your experiences with it. Please tell us(me?) more.

Ride safe...