Thread: hand signals...
View Single Post
Old 08-17-20, 12:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I find signaling with the right arm out straight to be more intuitive to drivers, and believe it has been codified into law in most states.

Also, signaling right doesn't always mean moving out of the way of traffic. There are situations where I am signaling to merge right into another lane, where there may be traffic approaching from behind.
Yes, my point was in that situation, the driver you're signalling likely has a clear view of your right arm. The left-handed right-turn signal was premised on an assumption that your right arm wasn't visible to the driver. In a car, the reason for that is obvious, the right arm is inside the car. On a bike, the reason was being over to the right hides your right arm from cars in the lane. If you're signaling a lane shift to the right, obviously you're not on the right edge of the road.

If I'm all the way to the right of the road, I don't bother signalling right turns at all.

Does anyone actually use the stop signal? I didn't even realize there was one until recently.