Old 06-23-21, 06:13 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 181 Posts
So I finally got around to working on the 760 after a few hectic days of getting ready for summer courses. rustystrings61 you were right, the 27.2 seat post fits snug, I just had to clean out the seat tube. Thank you for chipping in.
I replaced the pedals that came with the bike since they were so rusty and had so much play. Replacement pedals came from a Bianchi frame that I sold.

Old Sakae pedals, didn't even have dust caps so not worth salvaging.

Much better SR pedals. Out with the old, in with the new.
The headset oddly had new grease in there, so I left that alone. The front hub was nearly dry, so I had to clean it out and re-grease it.
Hubs had little grease left inside. I suspect that the grease is original.

Hub races look good, no pitting or cracks.

Ball bearings and cones came out good after some cleaning.

The rear hub was also disassembled as well. I should note that this was the first time in quite a while that I removed a freewheel and it was a real bear to remove. I unfortunately didn't get away unscathed; my fingers got caught in the spokes just as the freewheel gave way, so now I have some battle scars. Slightly graphic content warning, I'll remove it if it's not allowed.

At least I have an excuse to not make dinner and get takeout tonight.
That's all I really have patience for, I hope to get some more work done over the weekend. I do have some worries though concerning the freewheel and crankset. After reinstalling the Suntour freewheel the rear wheel now makes some kind of noise akin to dry ball bearings. I tried putting some oil in there to see if anything would change, but only the ratcheting noise got quieter; the rough sound is still there. Anyone have any idea why I'm getting this noise after reinstallation? I'm also concerned about removing the cranks; some of you here mentioned that the cranks are Campy Victory and from my understanding the drive side requires a special tool to remove since it's left hand threaded. Is it true of this crankset? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by philpeugeot; 06-23-21 at 08:04 PM.