View Single Post
Old 09-11-22, 12:23 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Please use lights all the time!

If you're riding on the road, it just makes sense to always use lights. Blinkeys, flashers, whatever. Today's lights are bright, efficient, and not too expensive. Your life's worth it!

I was hit a year ago by an idiot driver. Lights probably wouldn't have helped. But maybe. I wasn't hurt - didn't go down actually - but that day was the last day I rode without lights 24/7/365 on the road.

Driving a popular, twisty mountain road, I saw the value of lights during the day. Entering and exiting shadows make seeing a cyclist in the shadows more of a challenge for drivers. Lights address this issue very effectively. You could always see the riders who used lights in the shade. So smart.

My friend was just hit by a left-turning driver as he was doing 40mph. Helicopter to the hospital and multiple surgeries. But he's doing well and almost certainly will be back on the bike again. In great shape and has been riding forever. Racing on and off road, commuting for 30 years in the Bay Area, he's about as experienced as you can get. But a driver got him. Wasn't using lights, but I'm not blaming him. Not at all. Still no excuse that a driver wouldn't see him. But if he had been using lights, she very well would have seen him. We'll never know.

Now please don't get me wrong. I know they're no guarantee. Motorcyclists get hit all the time and they have lights much brighter than ours (on average). But it's simply a must these days. And I'm sure there's a compelling argument that if more cyclists use lights, it may endanger the few who don't. Who knows, but this could be true. We may just make drivers worse and lazier behind the wheel, who knows.

But until then, it's simply too crazy out there to not use lights.

Thanks for your consideration.