Old 11-14-22, 04:04 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios P18, customized Dahon Smooth Hound P9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 D7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup), Frog 52 9s and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 160 Posts
Well... I am currently building a 20" hill climbing "race" bike or to be more accurate, I will race a 20" wheel bike next season. I did a fear amount of research to shave 2Kg... and I think you could take a little more of yours depending of the total weight the bike has to carry.

1st, on a turbo trainer, you need a rear steel skewer, aluminium is not good.

I saw you have a campo so you have single wall rims, a little heavy. As most of weight saving tend to come for the wheelset, if you can find one, get a front Dahon/tern Kinetix pro (74 hub); these are 400g lighter than standard double wall 28 spoke wheel and saving is rotational so more important. While the Zizzo site mentions 7 speed free hub which is not so good. If you go for a kinetix comp (or equivalent - I have a 20 spoke wheel which ~250g lighter than std), you can fit either 8-9or 10 speed cassette. 9 is for me the best compromise as it allows you to upgrade with fewer expenses - you can keep the tourney derailleur. All you need is a "cheap" alivio or altus 9 speed right trigger shifter.
in 9 speed, the best would be a shimano XT M770 cassette (11-34), they are ~250g so roughly 1/2 the weight of an equivalent steel sunrace cassette. Note that Shimano XTR M970 is only 20g lighter but as it is made of titanium and aluminium, it will wear quickly. I personally thought it was not worth paying twice the price of 20g and higher wear.
the other thing that saves weight is the crankset; the std arms and BSA sealed bottom bracket are very heavy. if you take them out and swap for a hollow system (threaded cups and Road bike crankset 68mm), you can save a fair amount; how much depends of the crankset you selected. I went for a carbon Praxis crankset (like the force 1 or red) and save ~400g. My rival (aluminium) is ~200g heavier than my force1 (carbon) crankset.

Tyres: assuming, the bike came with something like the marathon 40-406(530g), you can go for kojak (230g or better panaracer Minit lite 32-406 (190g). With the panaracer, the weight saving is ~680g
you could fit TUP inner tubes like tubolito or Revoloop Race ultra which will save 100 to 150g total compared to a std butyl tube but these TUPs are a nighmare to patch when punctures as the glue takes 30min to cure...

Then the classic folding bike parts such as litepro seatpost (~300g and 200ish saving), lighter saddle can save 100 to 250g. Many people have fount that both of these mod can save ~500g together.
the Telescopic handlebar post replace to a monoblock ~200g saving and stiffer.
Some people fit MTB carbon handlebar but they are expensive (over $100) for 20 to 50g saving...

If you don't need the rear rack, mudguards and kick stand, that's 500 to 750g gone.

You can also trim the brake and gear cable and housing which are very long ~100g saving. and more if you go jagwire bamboo type housing.

So in summary:
Wheels : wheelset -400 to -500g / cassette -250g / tyres - 680g = -1.3 to 1.5Kg (with tubolito)
Crankset: -200 to 400g = -0.4kg if you find a 2nd hand Red GXP (~$150)
saddle: -0.5kg
handle post: -0.2kg
mudguard etc: -0.5kg
cable trim: -0.1kg

So if doing all that, it is weight loss of ~3kg or ~6.6Lbs BUT, by the time you do it all, you will have spent more than what the campo is worth new. If it had been a forte, it might be interesting. and obviously, you don't need to do it all.
If doing tyres, saddle/saddlepost, cable trimming (free) and accessories, that's ~1.5kg or 3.3Lbs for ~$100

Last edited by Fentuz; 11-14-22 at 04:14 AM.
Likes For Fentuz: