View Single Post
Old 09-17-21, 09:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Except he isn't.

Why a "Century"? Why a "Metric Century"?

Either it is a personal goal, or it is done to impress others. My take on that is, if I can impress you with something I can do, you aren't worth impressing. Sure, people can be positive about me making an effort, exceeding limits, all that .... but anyone who knows I am trying to impress, and is impressed .... weak. Do it to do it, don't do it to impress. This isn't junior high school.

If done for oneself, fine .... but I wouldn't hurt myself for it.

After losing a lot of fitness, riding even metric century was a serious challenge I have done a few rides of 60.9 miles, 61.2 miles, 59 and change ...... but each was exactly as long as it needed to be.

Maybe @ChamoisDavisJr was being a richard .... maybe not.

Llook what he says ..... I think many of us have seen this. I recall @Jim from Boston saying how his co-workers would always ask in amazement, "You rode to work in This weather?" even though he rode to work every day for years and always (obviously) answered, "Yes."

He then says, So, he Is offering encouragement, and in fact offers assurance of success. He isn't attacking the OP or undermining him.

Anyway .... different interpretations ...

Yeah, I would have been ok (I guess) with the post until the "really, why would you." At that point, I don't agree that could be interpreted reasonably as words of encouragement.

Distance goals are arbitrary, film at 11. Goals help us motivate ourselves, I think questioning them is therefore just an act to undermine that motivation and serves no constructive purpose.

I don't ride to impress anyone and OP never said they were, so I don't know why the issue of coworkers' feelings was even raised. OP is just seeking information about whether the difference between 60 miles and 100 is going to wipe them out.
Likes For livedarklions: