View Single Post
Old 09-02-22, 12:34 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
MUP's Law of Inevitable Convergence

This image doesn't exactly match the thesis described below, but it's as close as I can come at one-thirty in the morning.

We have all been there; or if you are new to the hobby/sport, at some point you will join us. It is inevitable...

MLIC states that, no matter where or when you begin your journey on a MUP, if you are there and They are there, you WILL converge at some point.

It doesn't matter whether you, the pedestrians you are riding up behind, and the cyclist(s) coming the other way are the only people on the entire length of the path. If you are out there at the same time, at some point you will approach the peds from behind at the exact same moment the oncoming cyclist approaches them from the front. Again, this is inevitable. It happens far too often to be random. Right?

The peds see the cyclist approaching from the front and move over to accommodate, at the same moment you ring your bell from behind. Awkwardness ensues. And it is this awkwardness which precludes me from capturing the moment with my camera. In some parts of the USA, such a move could get you killed!

The best I could do, if sufficiently motivated, would be to stage the scene for instructional purposes. Or something. But if I ever actually do that here, please arrange an intervention.

Thank you, and Good Night.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 09-03-22 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Can't Sleep.