View Single Post
Old 09-09-22, 11:49 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by yonex96
...So far I've cleaned up the rust and given it a coat of paint...
Just think of all you have learned just doing the basics. Fun. FUN FUN...

Skip that talk of doing a Classic Vintage Restoration. There is nothing wrong with economical modern day components. I have a UO-8 Mixti I am gathering parts for. It is not going to be a restoration. It will be Frankenized for the type of bike I ride. I have been slowly gathering all the components needed for when I launch my build. I'll give you and example of what I have sitting in a wooden box beneath the bike. Almost all of the components are salvaged...

Wheel Set RM19 Rims 27 1-1/4 with hubs all cleaned up and trued
I will use Continental Ride Tour 27 1-1/4 tires
Rebuilt Shimano Tourney MF-TZ30 14-34T Freewheel
SRAM PC-830 6/7/8-Speed Road
Simplex quick releases and skewers
New Tektro R369 Brake Set
5SB Crank Spindle (hard to find but allows conversion to a tapered crank possible)
Cleaned up Origin8 Classic Sport Road Double Crankset - 170 x 52/42 Square Taper Silver
SunRace Bicycle Index Hanger Derailleur Adapter (I will weld this on)
I have a classic Suntour long cage rear derailleur but you should consider a BATULLO RD-TZ31-A 6/7
New Kalloy 26mm seat post filed down, sanded, and polished to about 25.3mm (UO-8 Posts vary in size)
I'll reuse my Simplex front derailleur as it is still in good condition
Same thing for the Simplex stem shifters
Yes... I am going to keep the head set and Suicide ATX stem (polished up)
Of course I use bull horn handle bars
Tektro Bar end reverse Brake levers
I might use a Bikearoo Womens Saddle
I haven't figured out yet how I'll mount a water bottle

OK... That's my UO-8 Mixti. Just gathering parts and I have not even stripped the frame yet... Yes... fun Fun FUN...

Many think building up and old bike is a waste of time and money, but man, I get just as much fun out of my tinkering as I do ridding, and to be able to ride your tinker is great even though the cost may exceed a Wallmart Special.

Can't drink... Can't smoke... What do I do???