View Single Post
Old 04-11-05, 09:02 AM
Commutist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to these forums and thought I'd get in on the action here, as I'm looking for input on commuting bikes. Actually, I'm looking at a specific bike and would like to know what you think. The bike is a Trek X500, and it is in their "trekking" category. The MSRP is $1099. The bike is aluminum with, IIRC, a carbon seat tube. The bike has racks already mounted for front panniers (sold separately) and rear luggage. The X500 also has an LED headlight with a rear reflector, and disc brakes as well. Oh, and it also has fenders. Would this be a good bike for both pavement/bikepath commuting, as well as recreational riding on the weekends? Or should I buy a bike that may be less expensive and just pay for racks and panniers separately? The disc brakes seem to be a real winner, though.

Eventually I plan to get a dedicated road bike, as I want to eventually ride in some Centuries as well as do some fully-supported touring, such as in the Cycle Oregon event held annually in my home state of--yup, Oregon. But first things first, I need a good road/path commuter first. Thanks in advance for your input!