View Single Post
Old 05-23-21, 07:18 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I had a total hip replacement in August 2018 caused by a bike crash. I had the procedure where they came in from the side (versus the newer anterior procedure). Recovery is different depending on the procedure. I was walking without a cane in two weeks. I started walking several miles a day in 3 weeks following along with my golf buddies. Started riding the trainer at 8 weeks. Started back road riding at 10-12 weeks. Restarted golf at 14 weeks. Note, I had to mount my bike on the trainer using a step stool as I was limited on the legs range of motion for a while.

I was able to do 5 week long bike tours in 2019 and rode 6000+ miles for the year. It took about a year for the hip to feel close to normal. It’s now been 2+ years and my cycling fitness feels like it’s returning to the pre crash level. I’m 68 years old. I’ve lost a little leg strength and also some cardio because I was off the bike for that period. It’s hard to get the cardio back to my pre crash level and I just haven’t felt like making that kind of effort.

if you have questions I’d be happy to assist. Best to follow the surgeon’s and PTs advice on what they will allow. But do listen to your body and do what you feel like doing.