Old 06-29-21, 04:10 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Update on ‘74 Masi GC

I’d like to provide an update and get some feedback on the Masi GC I picked up last fall but rather than start a new thread, I’m just adding to the old one. This is the finest bike I’ve ever had. Since it was so pristine, I wanted to make sure that I could always return it to its original condition as I made a few changes to replace and preserve some of the irreplaceable components so that I could actually ride it somewhat worry-free.

I took off the the Campy pedals so I wouldn’t bung up the toe clips and put on some vintage-looking SPD pedals. I also took off the original Cinelli Unicanitor saddle and temporarily put on a carbon saddle that I had. I like the saddle a lot and I think it looked nice except………it’s carbon.

I took the advice to have a nice set of clinchers built up to replace the original Martano/Clement tubular set (now in cool dark storage). Used Campy NR hubs, an NOS 14-28 Regina Oro freewheel laced to H plus Son rims, mounted with Continental GP Classic tires. I had to use the curved-lever skewers but still looking for some nice flat-lever ones.

After cleaning it up a bit (I did miss a few spots), the cracked jockey wheels were replaced with some NOS Campy ones I was able to find. I was wondering if Bullseye jockey wheels might be a better and quieter upgrade.

After cleaning off much of the old grime, the only blemishes I found were a few small ones on the seat stays. Other than that, the original paint would be 100%.

Just had a set of tubulars built up again with NR hubs (found some flat lever skewers) with another Regina Oro 14-28 freewheel laced to a set of NOS 80s (?) Campy Lambda rims to sort of match the bike color. Mounted some new 23c Vittoria Corsa tires that I had hanging up using Mariposa tape for the first time. Not as nice a match to the brake hood color as the clinchers above but they are faster. Also found a pretty nice Unicanitor saddle on eBay with just right amount of patina (they seem to getting pretty precious anymore).