View Single Post
Old 06-14-22, 07:06 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
We have come a long ways since the days of the Huret wheel revolution counter. Even a cheap sub-$10 wired computer will give you more than you want and if properly calibrated for wheel circumference is amazingly accurate. I've given a few of these away as gifts for someone who just wanted to know how fast they were going and how far. Can't beat the price https://www.ebay.com/itm/274493634334.

I look back fondly on owning a 1973 Motobecane Le Champion road bike for several decades. I gave it away a few years ago when riding such a beast just became too painful. However, nothing beats the comfort of a recumbent though it is certainly not as fast as the Le Champion was.
I've been getting good use out of my mid 70s Motobecane. No real complaints. Since I never really gave proper thought to upgrades and investing in bikes when I didn't have a lot of money, I may be a little like the proverbial old dog. I don't find it uncomfortable, though I see how the handlebars can stress the hands.

There was a scout leader back in the 70s, Rick who did cross country bike rides and complained about the stress on his hands, like carpal tunnel.