cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
There are different size chains between 9 and 10 speed? I'll have to look closer at my bikes. They all look the same to me.
As for emergency info, I had custom military-style "dog" tags made and I've laced one into my shoes. I also carry a photocopy of my DL with emergency contacts on the other side. That stays in a small waist pack I always ride with.
But what's with the spoke wrench? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I just can't figure out what kind of failure you could have where a spoke wrench would help without any replacement parts. I posted this to learn from others.

What's an "RD"? I'm sure it's something simple but it's not clicking with me at the moment.
In my younger days I have been known to 'pop' spokes, and it's always a distance from home. Sometimes you can still ride home with the brake 'open', but on low spoke count wheels, it may not be possible... I'm not breaking spokes as much as I did when younger, and the wheels seem to hold up better.
Usually on training wheels, which always had way more miles than race wheels...
Spoke wrench allows you to 'adjust' the wheel, temporarily, soz you can limp home...

8 , 9 ,10, 11 all should use proper quick links - since they are different widths
in emergency you could use a 9 spd link on a 10 spd chain, and a 10 spd link on 11 - so you can limp home...
RD - rear derailleur FD - front de...
bike acronyms
I always recommend carrying your cell for emergencies, especially if you're riding solo and especially if a female
if you can;t find a good carry on the bike, then in a ziplock baggie in your jersey pocket - some won;t carry anywhere BUT in the jersey pocket.
best scenario is you carry it for years, and never need to use it.
Ride On
Yuri