View Single Post
Old 07-05-22, 08:46 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
In my younger days I have been known to 'pop' spokes, and it's always a distance from home. Sometimes you can still ride home with the brake 'open', but on low spoke count wheels, it may not be possible... I'm not breaking spokes as much as I did when younger, and the wheels seem to hold up better.
Usually on training wheels, which always had way more miles than race wheels...
Spoke wrench allows you to 'adjust' the wheel, temporarily, soz you can limp home...

8 , 9 ,10, 11 all should use proper quick links - since they are different widths
in emergency you could use a 9 spd link on a 10 spd chain, and a 10 spd link on 11 - so you can limp home...
RD - rear derailleur FD - front de...
bike acronyms
I always recommend carrying your cell for emergencies, especially if you're riding solo and especially if a female
if you can;t find a good carry on the bike, then in a ziplock baggie in your jersey pocket - some won;t carry anywhere BUT in the jersey pocket.
best scenario is you carry it for years, and never need to use it.
Ride On
Yuri
Oh. Ya, the RD was simple but it just wasn't clicking for me. I've had an off day today.

What do you mean "pop" a spoke? Does it break? I can't say I've had a spoke break on me, except if the threads rusted/corroded and snapped when trying to tighten or loosen. I can't recall a spoke ever breaking while I was riding.

Ya, there are strong arguments for carrying a phone when you ride, especially for females. One of the things that p!$$ me off and I just don't understand is why I can't have a second (or third) phone that works on my primary number. I would be much more receptive to getting a cheap, throw-away phone if I could just put it on the same number But that's a whole cell phone service can of worms there.