Thread: Shogun Katana
View Single Post
Old 08-04-22, 12:38 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I hope so as well. If it was a 13 year old boy, we'd probably be confident that some growing potential was still on the table, given what we know. Also given what we know about cyclists vs. people that ride bikes on occasion, cross-chaining in the small-small is an incredibly common occurrence (or at least, a lack of education and/or application). You or I don't mind hacking a triple, especially in hilly terrain (I was out on my 720 tonight and it was wonderful!), but for the less-enthusiastic and/or beginners, a 1x system makes a lot of sense as it decreases variables. That helps. Not that we wish to relegate her or anyone else to the bin of "you'll never master anything more than minimal gearing options", but there's some reality that must be considered here.

Your idea of flat bar or North Roads is a good one. Keep it upright and fun/less Super Serious Cyclist (unless she's looking for that, of course). Man, I wish there were more 650B options as there would invariably be cheaper used components to choose from. Looking at the brake pad position/"elevation" in their slots, you should be able to sneak 28s in there, IMO.

For $85 and a family friend's help in refurbishing plus component supplying, that's a heck of a deal and if she wants something nicer, hopefully that's motivating across a few fronts to get there.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: