Old 09-05-22, 12:48 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I am sure there are threads about weight, but I'll be darned if I can find them.

My wife and I did our first self-contained trip on the C&O and GAP trails. As a road biker I was shocked how much my new touring bike weighed, and how much more it weighed loaded. It sure makes for slower going, especially off pavement.

I didn't weigh it before we left, but did when we got back.

My new Trek 520 Grando with a front and rear racks water bottle cages, full bottles pedals, spare tube and patch kit and a Garmin weighed 32 pounds,
Front and rear panniers and a front bag weighed 8 pounds. That's 40 pounds before I put anything on it. (A far cry from my 18 pound Roubaix.)

The stuff I carried weighed 60 pounds. That's clothes, sleeping bag, food, tent, JetBoil, personal items and such.The whole package ended up just under 100 pounds.

I know I'll cut a few pounds next trip. How much weight do YOU carry? What's a reasonable weight? I'm not interested in ultra light, and I'm not giving up the tent. I know some of you do this stuff almost naked and without food and enjoy it. But I'm looking for reasonable. Hints?

Note: I know I took too much recharging stuff (2.4 pounds) and I really didn't need my very light chair (1.2 pounds) so there's that...

My loaded Trek 520 Grando on the left, my wife's Salsa Vaya on right. Hiker Biker campground on the C&O
Did I overdo it?

yes you did .... )
Likes For str: