burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
I don't know the guy, but it kinda sounds like the veteran is doing the wrong type of crits and/or racing poorly. Speaking as someone who is kinda big and had decent sustained power but poor sprinting/VO2 power, your tactics really need to be in line with your abilities. Aka, find a flat, technical crit and attack into the turns to get your gap because with no jump you're not going to get away cleanly. I'm not sure what venue the weeknight worlds are in your area, but a lot of times they're just oval tracks, and they suuuuck for people like me. They do bring the pain though and are a good workout, which could be the other reason the "vet guy" you're referring to is doing them.

Man I love that I'm speaking in present tense btw. I haven't raced or really trained since 2015 and my 20 minute power is down to 280ish and my weight is 195ish. My VO2 is finally catching up with my FTP!
I cheer them on in the results postings on Facebook. I've never been to the two sites so cannot comment. Their elevation gain for a 30min and 45min race are typically very little. I think both have more sweepy curves than really sharp ones, by looking at their Strava activities. Still, without seeing or doing I can't say.

Most results are top 10 he gets. He claims he often gets to a reduced sprint or bunch sprint but they then fly past him. So not sure if sprint isn't there OR too gassed at the end to sprint.

I'd have to default to you all's knowledge. I've never dug into what his coach has him do during crit season for workouts. I'm no expert so never bothered to look, that's what he's paying someone for I would hope. Given that, I don't ever ask or offer any advice. I assume they all know 10x better than I do.