View Single Post
Old 01-27-22, 08:13 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I had a bike fitting earlier this year, at 61, and the first thing the fitter did was test my range of motion. His response was "good thing for cycling". In other words, inside the range of motion of cycling, I'm fluid and beautiful. Outside that range, uh, I show my age.

Moral of the story is, keep on keeping on until you can't.

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Dupuytrens Contractor since first hand operation in 1994 at 26 FRIKIN insane lol. 12 hand operations over the years annoying as hell but over all I have been lucky I have had only orthopedic issues. Inherited high blood pressure controlled with meds. I’m due another hand rebuild but I’m putting it off as long as possible. Not much left to carve on lol. I had a parotid tumor taken out of my saliva glands near my ear but luckily it wasn’t cancer. At 47 I cleanly deadlifted 450 pounds I was happy but my intestines decided to pop out. Triple hernia operation all I could do was laugh because it was funny. Two foot operations to get the same condition as dupuytrens but the foot version. That sucked rolling on a scooter for 2 months but I put a bike bell on it to annoy people with. That’s about it. I try to live a healthy style but sometimes ice cold beer and football games get in the way. Don’t smoke no illegal drugs just beer.
It ain't illegal in Oregon Also, you can buy chewables so smoking isn't necessary. Not that I partake currently, being employed by a rather conservative company that does random drug screenings. But retirement is going to be grand.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
August 2023 is Paris Brest Paris (every 4 years). A 1200K this year would assure entry into PBP. I suspect a 400K will be the limit and those who only have a 200 or 300K this year will be shut out. I would like to get into the A group and successively suck wheel when the B and the C and D and E groups pass me. I figure at 64, I shouldn't be too proud to latch on to the youngins' wheels. A long shot this year but the way I am wired, I need a goal.
As far as I can tell, there as only been one finisher over 80 - Jean Guillot at age 86. I'll be 86 11/12ths in the 2037 running. I'm going for it. This means no more breaking my neck; you probably don't get two of those.

Last edited by downtube42; 01-27-22 at 08:20 PM.
Likes For downtube42: