TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
1997? Jamis Quest

Originally Posted by TrekCommuter
Ok, I'll play. This looks like too fun not to. Humbly submitted for your consideration is this 1997 (1998, 1999?) Jamis Quest complete with Shimano RSX components. Drive train is 3x7. I bought this on Craigslist last fall for trainer purposes and used it half-heartedly as such over the colder months. It is perhaps a hair small for me, but I bought it knowing this so my wife could use it on the trainer, as well. I paid $100.00.

It had a bulging tire, which was merely a tube doubled over on itself. I fixed that and added "new" bar tape off of an old set of trekking bars I had. I view this as being fully depreciated as no one would have bought the tape. I also had to spray the brifters liberally with WD-40 to get them to index again. Then, I "fixed" a cut in the rear derailleur cable tubing with electrical tape. Not elegant, but it works.

As I will be primarily commuting and recreational riding during my challenge, I took off the original 1990's Shimano SPD pedals (used but work great) and replaced them with a pair of parts bin highly worn Wellgo platforms pedals from my wife's Trek 7.2 FX. In my mind, this is either a net wash or a slight deduction.

Here is my outlay assessment:

Bike purchase: $100

Bar tape (used, fully depreciated): $0

Electrical tape: $.25

WD-40: $.25

Wellgo pedal swap (perhaps -$10.00 as I took off Shimano SPD pedals)

Thus, I put my total investment at around $90.50. I hope the tires hold out - they are old 700x23 Vittorias - I am not used to such skinny tires!

I've got 7.5 miles in today - I will try to uploads photos shortly.

Drive train side

Electrical tape was used...a lot...it shifts quite well now.