View Single Post
Old 06-01-22, 01:56 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
This was a new one to me. I went to bolt the Cyclone rear derailleur on last night, and I found that it didn't want to pivot on the mounting bolt. The bolt would turn but with a lot of resistance. So, I figured out how to remove the mounting bolt so I could check it out. I thought maybe it was missing the washer that lets it pivot smoothly (part 3 in the diagram below) or maybe it was just gunked up and needed cleaning.

When I opened it, I found that the washer was there, so I pulled it off to wipe it clean and I found another one below it. So I pulled that one off to clean it and I found another one below it. And so on. There were five of these washers in there. I don't know what the history of this was. Maybe somebody needed to replace the washer and the replacements they had were a different thickness so they used extra? The bolt did have a bit of gunk on it, but when I cleaned everything and put all the washers back it was still just as stiff as when I started. With just one washer, it pivoted easily but it felt like there was a bit of play (though maybe I just didn't get the mounting bushing -- part 4 -- tight enough). With two washers it moves freely without play.

My question is, why didn't the person who put the extra washers in there notice that it wasn't working?
You got it right there's supposed to be two washers a standard washer and bushing extra smooth type washer on the inside.