View Single Post
Old 07-22-22, 08:03 AM
acroy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin
Sorry about the bike. Glad you were evidently not seriously injured. You were riding in the cross walk. That's perfectly valid and this was obviously the fault of the driver and no fault of your own.

Consider also that the driver is making a left turn on a green light where they must yield to opposing traffic. The driver was looking across the intersection for opposing traffic and saw none. That's why they entered the intersection and began the left turn. They did not see the bicycle or any pedestrians in the crosswalk, because that is not what they were looking for. This crash happened because of inadequate surveillance by the driver. Failing to actively monitor the road and surroundings is the single biggest factor in serious crashes cited by at least one study.

Drivers whose thoughts and attention stray from active surveillance can be expected to stop looking to the left and right and around. Cell phones claim a lot of credit for distracted driving these days, but a driver need only be distracted by thoughts about something other than their driving environment for it to affect their eye movements and attention. Drivers get away with listening to music, having conversations, and letting their thoughts stray to innumerable things unrelated to the task of driving at-hand, while they continue to drive with reduced levels of surveillance of their circumstances. Drivers frequently lower their attentiveness to their surroundings, and they get away with it, reinforcing their conviction that they're good enough to continue to do so. It happens such that some are even convinced they can text, check their makeup or shave in the mirror, read the newspaper, drink their coffee, look in the bottom of the bag for the last of the fries from the drive-thru, or stare at the booger they just picked out of their nose. They learn to do the minimum surveillance of their surroundings that allow them to continue driving without incident. If cyclists and pedestrians aren't frequent occurrences, they won't make the cut-off for what needs to be watched out for. This driver entered the intersection looking across the intersection and saw no cars coming. Nothing else made the cut-off for what they needed to regard before they began turning left.

Consider that had you been in the traffic lane, that is where the driver was looking. At 5 seconds in the video, you would have been to the left of the car, and at 7 seconds, you would be approaching the passenger side quarter-panel. The car, had they not seen you were they were looking for oncoming traffic, would have cut you off, but not hit you.

Don't assume that riding sidewalks, crosswalks, and the margins of transitional areas is safer than being in traffic. Drivers are accustomed to looking out for cars that are frequently there. They're also trained by their experience that there is nothing to look for in these other possible areas. I'm not advocating "vehicular cycling" (whatever that means) or riding as if you were on a motorcycle. Staying as far right as practicable is a good idea so long as you're not frequently getting out of driver's tunnel-vision attention zone and then re-entering it. Instead of riding slopestyle obstacles in and out of the margins to get out of traffic, you might be safer being where the drivers are looking.

I think there are cyclists that avoid riding in traffic because they dread provoking the ire of motorists. Certainly, the cyclists that ride in traffic for the express purpose of provoking the ire of others are their own special kind of jerk. What I advise and what I do is to ride where motorists are going to be looking for cars, staying to the right to allow them to pass when they decide it's possible to do so safely. They will have to evaluate the road and traffic and determine when they can make the pass while giving me reasonable space. I ride inside the shoulder when its possible, but I don't swerve in and out of it where it cannot be ridden for a good distance. I won't ride so far right that I'm in the gutter, a ditch, a construction zone, a door zone, or a soft shoulder like grass or deep gravel. I expect that motorists will regard both the sanctity of my life and the freedom I have to determine where I go and how. I don't ride so much with an attitude that my "rights" must be respected, as I ride with the hope that others will choose to regard my life and to cherish the freedom we have together. There are bullies that only regard their selfish interests. They will refuse to regard my freedom to choose where I go and how and might rudely honk or holler. I don't worry about the small possibility that they will disregard my life in a fit of road rage, violating their selfish interest in their own freedom and prosperity, so much as I am concerned with the person who does not get the chance to choose to regard my life or my freedom, because they hit me before they even see me.
I hear and agree with much of what you say, with a couple caveats:
- If I had taken the lane to be where the driver expected to see cars, I would not have gotten a green light at all. That's how this intersection works, it's on sensors. It does not sense my bike. She would have gotten a protected green arrow, my light would stay red. When there is a car in this lane, I get behind it and follow it through. When no cars (as in this instance) I have to trigger the walk light or I get no light

- It's clear you're very thoughtful and let's acknowledge it, folks active on this forum are very engaged & thoughtful road users. I think we assume other users are similarly thoughtful and give drivers too much credit. I think the majority of drivers are completely and utterly thoughtless, just zoned out; that's sure how they drive. So I've calibrated my riding style such that, as much as possible, a zoned out driver never has the opportunity to hit me. Car drivers naturally zone out non-car-shaped objects. In other environments, ie when I visit my pal in Seattle, drivers are much more aware of peds/cyclists etc, as there are a lot of them. They are uncommon here and thus easy for the mostly-disengaged brain to completely ignore. "I never saw him" I have her saying on audio.

Originally Posted by Sardines
Yikes. Sorry you had to live through that and glad you're back on your pedals! Unfortunately drivers like that are going to be dangerous anyways, irregardless what you do.
You should check out the Falkenjagd Hoplit Pi. They are great builders of Ti bikes, as are Pilot, Hiilite, Boettcher and Nua. I've now seen and ridden the Waltly pinion, I think it's a good option too. Now you'll notice these are all non-US Ti builders. Few US Ti builders like Moots etc bother with Pinion/Gates, and for me that's a prerequisite, along with cables in the headtube. If I'm paying $$$ for a custom bike, I want neat cabling and the drivetrain I want.
Nice options there - good to see Ti has believers, I've always loved the material. The amazing ride of steel coupled with zero corrosion. This bike was supposed to be my 'last' bike.... ah well. Similar boat here, willing to pay the $$ and want the details I want.