View Single Post
Old 08-13-22, 01:09 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
"That won't happen" If anyone uses those words around you, I would point out that you cannot prove a negative result, nor predict one. "That won't happen" is the German auto designer's go to phrase, as when they welded the inner door panels in place on their Merkur XR4Ti. Why? Because the window regulator will never fail. "We calculated that it can't happen" It can. I did. Cutting torch, saw, $$$$$ Or the 10 dollar tube on the side block of an Audi that sends coolant out to another part of the car. "It won't leak, that won't happen" And thus internet tutorials on how to jack up your car engine to change a 10 tube.

Ahem.... So, If you wander the neighborhoods, ride some trails, have fun with friends on weekends, then sure, drop the pie plate. Its a short walk home. If you don't have money to rebuild the wheel, that's on you.
If you decide to do long tours in areas with not many bike shops, the ego damage of a small plastic disc is overridden by the fact that you won't have trashed spokes, even though you were sure you had the derailleur perfectly adjusted. And we all perfectly adjust our rear derailleurs, right? And after several hundred miles of rough or dirty roads, is it still adjusted right? Zero chance of a stick or stone going through the rear mechanism?

My around town riders don't have pie plates. My touring bike does, because hubris often leads to painful situations that humility does not. YMMV