View Single Post
Old 08-15-22, 12:44 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Why don't you do the test for yourself? It really won't mean anything for me to do the test for you because my conditions are unlikely to be your conditions. I'm loathe to do the test again because I absolutely did not like how exhausted I was left feeling after a ride, even a short ride on the lower PSI tires. Oh, and by the way, be certain you do 12 rides or more of each set tire pressures you choose to compare. That will have more evidence behind it that simply a ride or two.

Besides, there wasn't that much difference in the data I collected. However for both the entire routes ridden and for climbs and the few fairly flat places that I do at near max effort that I segmented out of the data, then lower pressure tires were slower. But not much.

I'd think that the fact my legs were more tired with the lower pressures than they were the higher pressures is a valid perception that one needs to consider. Or should I call foul on all those that say their ride is more comfortable with lower pressure because it's known that lower pressures in tires generally smooth out the bumps?

When I had the old Continental Ultra Sport tires from circa 2009 (the new Ultra Sports are different construction) on my bike they were uncomfortable at any PSI. I even rode them at 75 psi all the way up to and beyond their max recommended pressure of 95 PSI, IIRC. They were horrible riding tires. When I moved to the Vittoria Rubino Pro's and Continental GP5000's, I noticed right off the bat that they were more comfortable at even extremely high PSI than the Ultra Sports were at the lowest possible pressure I could ride them without getting a pinch flat regularly.

You seem to be hung up on power. To me all power would do is show me that something else is responsible for the griping my legs did for 12 - 14 rides. So does that matter so much? I always thought that time between point A and point B is what matters.

I'm also not suggesting the current science of tire pressure is wrong. I pretty much agree with it. However people misuse it. For those favoring Silca's calculator, it's interesting that they show a 25 or 28 mm tire should use lower pressure with a butyl tube than a tubeless tire. Something is off in their thinking or their calculator. Or perhaps I'm totally just not understanding things.

But why people wish to blindly do what a calculator tells them and say they are happy is beyond me. I at least experiment and find out what I like and what works for me well.
I wasn't even the original person to ask you about power, but that would be because power is a measure of work - an objective, external frame of reference.

I don't want you to do it for me, I have hookless rims, I cannot go above 73 psi anyway. I was genuinely interested in your results with power as an objective baseline.