View Single Post
Old 08-21-22, 08:46 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
On that day we did not climb it, we went the opposite (easier) way on that road which had roller coaster hills with some in the 20%+ range.

I have climbed it on several occasions and it is by far the hardest hill I have been up.

It is about 1 mile long. It is not 26% the whole way but it is in some portions.

It is dangerous to even stop on because it feels like you are going to fall over if try to unclip and put your foot down and the road a nasty camber to it.

talk about scylla and charybdis...one direction is straight up, the other direction is the roller-coaster from hades.

totally agree with your assessment...personally rate it as the hardest, semi-quick climb in all of socal. fargo (and nearby) streets near dtown la get a little steeper (and shorter) but at least you can "paperboy"
up those since they're fairly wide...los gatos is narrow-no rescue driveways, no shoulders plus you get the local aggie trucks throughout the day so there's no magic hour to climb it. plus
it's got a southern exposure so it's guaranteed to be extra hot.

los gatos is the only hill in all of paved and public socal that i fear. even some of the nearby monsters on sandia creek rd and elsewhere in de luz are just a light appetizer comparatively.
it's been over a decade and i'm heavier but have better gearing and a lighter bike. thinking about giving it the old college try here in september. it ain't the easiest to get to either with
some leg-sapping climbs just to reach the base before the attempt. you can descend it from the north-which is easier climb wise-and then ascend but going down just psyches you out.
gotta make sure the will is up to date and the insurance is maxed out before the attempt tho. will be leaving the water bottles at the bottom of the hill.

there is a smallish area with some ridiculous longer 20% climbs called "dictionary hill" in the town of spring valley which is approx 9-10 miles east of dtown san diego. the streets are straight as an
arrow and the traffic is relatively low. looks like i'll be getting busy over there doing some prep. it's an easyish 30 min ride there from my place. the big, short climbs (which hit 28% max) near me in sd are too short
to replicate los gatos...need 20%+ and distance...think this will be the closest i can get w/o actually doing los gatos.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-21-22 at 09:09 PM.