Old 06-11-16, 06:54 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
The misconception is that all of the top riders of that day were doping with EPO's and blood transfusions. Not so. Many top riders weren't and they didn't achieve the number of big wins but they were top riders. It was a secret "society" of riders, many of whom got their stuff from Dr. Ferrari. There was a policy of Omerta. Nobody talked about it.

It wasn't a "level playing field" back then. The only thing the doping did was to extend the athlete's ability to go "beyond" what the body was screaming to the rider "enough already". Those top riders trained like he11 doping or no doping.

Now, was it ethical? No. Was it right? No. Did it prevent other VERY deserved riders from achieving the level they should have? Absolutely. Did it ruin careers? Darn right it did. And it darn near killed the sport to!

Aside from the doping, that race with Armstrong and Ullrich was epic no matter how you look at it.

Read the book, "The Secret Race" by Tyler Hamilton. It by far is one of the best written and "page-turner" books I've read in many years. Even if a person isn't a cyclist, the book is a fascinating read. I couldn't put it down and read it in two days. What it reveals is the behind the scenes look at how they pulled off the EPO/doping. It was crazy what those guys went through to keep from getting caught. I liked Tyler Hamilton as a racer back then. He was tough, tougher than all the rest. He would never give up not ever. It also reveals a lot about Hamilton and the effect that whole business had on him, his family and relationships. Excellent book. Oh, and he doesn't pull any punches on Lance.

Also reading Jens Voigt's book, "Shut up Legs!" and it's quite good as well. Unique perspective from an East German rider who claims he didn't dope like the other riders of the day.

Last edited by drlogik; 06-11-16 at 08:41 PM.